Friday, September 14, 2007

A classic tele-serye story or a fragment of hope?

From marikina I rode a cab home. At first glance, i thought that the driver would be rude and "mapagsamantala" because he was just wearing shorts etc while driving his cab, but my perception was debunked when we conversed.

Our conversation started when he asked me if I was already working... and then he asked me if I was getting married anytime soon, I said no, "kelangan pa mag-ipon para sa kinabukasan". He answered me by saying, "mabuti yan, ako nga 31 years old na wala pang asawa eh. kahit gusto ko na, hindi pwede, kelangan pa mag-ipon." I realized by the way he spoke, his non-verbal cues and the sincerity of his words that he was not the average perverted and ill-mannered cab driver.

I urged him to tell me his life-story, He's not a regular cab driver, he was just doing it because he's on vacation. He's a factory worker in Taiwan and he's going back there by the end of the month. He said that life is as hard there as here. Taiwanese treat them like dirt and machines; he also told me that, he can't get a better job because even if he wants to be educated they were just really poor. He helped himself finish high-school by driving a pedicab and then after that tried every job out there... so that he could live. He became a kargador and they were paid 1 peso per sack hauled. he became an electrician, plumber, carpenter and driver just to make a living. Now that's perseverance.

the teleserye part of it is that, when i asked him, kuya bakit ayaw niyo pa magpakasal? he said i can't because the parents of my girlfriend doesn't like me because I'm just a driver. They were rich, they had money in the states. He even drove for the ate of his girlfriend. even if that's the case he wants to have a family with his girlfriend and judging by the way he told me that, it seemed that he really loved her and was not just using her to leave his poor life.

The disparity between those who have and those who do not have is getting bigger and bigger as the years pass. I was just amazed that even if that cab driver was at the bottom of the system, where he was treated like dirt. he had the choice to be dirty so that he could make a little more from his passengers and other people he works with, but his principles made him strong and admirable.

People have a choice in this world, to be crooked and rusty or to be great and admirable. I know that he is much stronger than most of the people that i know... it's his optimism and sense of hope that gives him the strength to live his life. everyone has a choice if they want to conform and be corrupted by the system or stand-up and fight for what you believe in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home